The Astraeus is a Super Capital Ship made for Diving ships and Sieging with its massive alpha damage. The owner of the ship MUST bring a fleet with them, with the biggest reason being that the Astraeus being almost unable to hit other ships with a crippling accuracy stat: especially Destroyers and Cruisers.
The Astraeus is one of the largest and widest ships in the game, dwarfing many Dreadnoughts and Carriers. The ship has similar detailing and design like other Event Horizon ships and has its logo on each sides of the ship. It has a bridge on the back of the ship, which is small compared to the overall size of the ship. Many of the turrets are one of the largest in-game, such as the Siege Cannons.
The Interior features a large room with the pilot seat elevated in a platform in the middle, and numerous computers around the walls.
- Very high alpha damage of 7000+ makes it potent at destroying less durable foes, such as battleships.
- High health, especially with Shields; which allows it to outlast many other ships in PvP without needing to retreat.
- Long range weapons allow it to outrange and snipe many targets, in addition to the Siege Cannons having a massive 8500 range.
- Okay ship for Pirating, Capable of insta-killing many miners and freighters.
- Amazing for sieges. The turrets can snipe the base from far enough away to mitigate most of the damage and is capable of destroying most sub-capital to battleship defenders in one salvo if the turrets do not miss.
- Huge blind-spots behind and under the ship.
- Very slow turn speed.
- Long reload speed and non-ideal accuracy makes it impossible to hit small ships.
- Low DPS compared to other Super Capital Ships and even strong Dreadnoughts.
- Vulnerable to shield breakers.
- One of the worst ships to attack small ships due to the very long turret reload time and potshot accuracy.
- Can be very easily overwhelmed by smaller, faster ships that focus on shield damage, such as a swarm of Sabre Tooths.
- Despite the high alpha, the long reload time means ships with enough health can quickly charge their warp and escape if you have no support. The reload also makes it so if your turrets miss, the enemy has a relatively long time to attack before attempting to dodge the next volley. Skilled players can estimate when your turrets will fire and warp a short distance, or move into your blindspot.
- While the ship is capable of sieging with a great efficiency, it is sometimes (in some cases, significantly) worse at sieging than several other more specialized siege ships; such as the Avalon, Hyperion, Kraken, Antares, and Frostpocalypse. These ships - while (mostly) lower in class - outperform the Astraeus at sieging because of the low damage output.
- As of the shield rework, the Astraeus can now tank an L5 base indefinitely if placed at recommended range.
- Stay 7500 studs away from the base you are sieging in order to hit all your weapons while taking minimal damage in return, as the Heavy LR Lasers and Super Lasers have 7500 range.
- Predict where the warp path of enemies' are and stand in their warp path to volley them while they are mid-warp. Astraeus's turrets are effective against warping ships due to their long range and the fact that warping ships have 0 Speed in turret calculations.
- Never get your Astraeus hulled, as it has low hull health, and you will be focused.
- The Astraeus is great for defending against sieges, and the alpha damage can destroy sieging ships in 1-3 vollies usually. Beware of large carriers that are capable of withstanding your punishment for long enough to significantly damage you with an AI fighter swarm. If they are supported by a fleet, they are capable of destroying your ship.
- Do not fire your weapons unless you have a clear shot at the target and your speed relative to the target is as low as possible.
- Similar to the Judgement, prioritize performing hit-and-run tactics. Prolonged ship-to-ship combat is not ideal for this ship, as it lacks the damage output needed for sustained close range brawls against other strong Capital Ships, multiple Dreadnoughts, or a Super Capital with high damage output; such as the Hyperion, Theia, or Oblivion.
- Due to the terrible maneuverability, make sure to be under your target.
- Pirating with the Astraeus is very difficult, owing to the slow-moving nature and awareness other players have to Supercapitals.
- Added in version .66b.
- Heavy Railgun replaced with Super Laser in version .66c.
- Received a remodel in version .68e
- Description changed, Siege Cannons and Super Laser buffed. Siege Cannon count increased to 3 in version .72e1.
- Siege Cannons and Super Lasers buffed again; Super Cannons getting an alpha buff from 1000 to 1806(as well as a range buff to 8500), and Super Lasers an alpha buff from 1000 to 1445 in version .73c10.
- Hull health decreased from 10,000 to 8,500 in version .75a5.
- Turret armament changed from 2 Super Lasers, 3 Siege Cannons, and 5 Heavy LR Lasers to 1 Super Laser, 3 Siege Cannons, 2 Super LR Lasers, and 4 Heavy LR Lasers in version .75a5.
- Taken off-sale in version .75a5 to reduce super capital permit prices.