This article is about the NPCs, not to be confused with the Player's Behaviour.
Pirates are a class of enemy AI similar to Aliens. Like alien ships, they will attack anything nearby (~10 to 13K studs distance). Pirates will actively engage Aliens just as readily as players.
Pirates show up with an orange color on the Minimap, although they originally used a dark-grey color. Pirates do not seem to attack admin ships.
Freedom Base Pirates
Originally, Pirates only spawned at the Freedom Base when a player accepted the Freedom Base Quest at the Mega Base when speaking to Luca Sky (formerly Luke Skybawler). One pirate spawned per person who accepts the quest with a maximum of 9 pirates. They also used to spawn randomly at the Freedom Base. Prior to the public release, there was no max amount of pirates, leading to swarms of pirates able to take down a fleet of Dreadnoughts. Pirate Avengers chased the player for up to 10K studs and did a lot more damage than normal Avengers do.
The Pirate Osprey was removed to make it a bit easier for players to kill the Pirates. The Pirate Starblade was also later removed for being too OP with backward firing torpedoes, aimbot, and ramming. This left only the Pirate Avenger as a possible pirate ship.
The Pirate Avenger was strong enough to take up to three Alien Swarmers head-on. When Pirates and Aliens met, they fought each other despite both being NPCs.
Later on in development, the Pirate Kodiak was added as a boss ship spawned by during the "Dining in Hell" and "Depthbreaker" quest paths. This formidable enemy dropped pieces required to build the Kraken.
- Pirate Avenger drops about 31 [outdated?] items of loot.
- Pirate Starblade dropped about 11 items of loot. It has been removed.
- Jormungands, Scowlings, and Dragoons Armor Scraps which can be exchanged for credits
- Galleons drop 2 Plasma Batteries and 5 Armored Plating
- X-class freighters drop 10 Plasma Batteries (X-0) and Artifacts (X-4756 and X-7894, no longer in game)
- The Kodiak drops 1 Quantum Core, 30 Plasma Batteries, 15 Thrust Components, 5 Kodiak Plating, and 20 Armored Plating