This article describes the NPC boss ship, not an actual player-owned vessel. For the player ship with an identical appearance, see Kraken.
The Kodiak is a Pirate boss that drops materials necessary to create the ships such as the Obliterator and Nautilus. The Kodiak spawns between 21 and 150 minutes of the round starting if there are at least 4 people in the server; the amount of time that has passed can be viewed via the :roundstats command. The Kodiak is also suspected to be a one-time spawn per server, requiring an endgame faction reset or a complete server restart in order to spawn again. However, some players have also reported seeing multiple Kodiaks within the same server instance.
As with all boss ships like the Decimator and Galleon, the Kodiak can call pirate ships to its side for reinforcements. These reinforcement ships can be dangerous at close range but can straggle behind, making them less of a threat until they warp to catch up. This ship exhibits typical AI behavior, chasing after its targets by warping and moving back and forth in a roughly linear pattern when targets are stationary. Once it locks on and begins firing at its target, it won't stop until the target or itself has been destroyed.
A friendly warning to the community:
The explosion radius is 1500, the 2nd highest in the game tied with both prototypes and the Lucifer (being behind Mothership at levels 3-5), be sure to warp far, far away from it to avoid being nuked.
The wreck of the Kodiak contains 1 Quantum Core, 30 Plasma Batteries, and 750 Armor Scraps.
- This ship's high firepower can destroy even well-armored tanking ships, so a distraction ship such as the Draco or Viper is highly recommended. - The best way to kill a Kodiak is to lure it to a planet and hide behind it so the Kodiak would fire at the player but hits the planet allowing you to kill the Kodiak with ease. This also works with starbases above level 3, as you can easily hide in the Starhunters' fighter bay and let the base tank the Kodiak's fire.
- Warp very far away due to the immensely powerful nuke.
- Disabled in version ???
- It was previously equipped with 4 Triple Heavy Cannons and 4 Triple Heavy Lasers, but in verison .65a6, with the Kraken, it got its own custom Turrets.
- Re-enabled as a naturally-spawning boss in version .73a3.
- 20 Armored Platings changed to 500 Armor Scraps in version .73c10.
- From 7 players could was changed to 3 players to be able to spawn the Kodiak
- 3 player now only needs 1 player with 90 minutes of round
- Requires 4 players and spawns at a point between 21 to 150 minutes. (.74b17)
- A similar ship named the Hijacked Kodiak exists in the game, but its purpose is unknown.
- The Kodiak used to be spawned at Lucifer Station by obtaining an item through the quest Dining In Hell. It had 18,000 Shield and 18,000 Hull and was equipped with 4 Kodiak Lasers and 4 Kodiak Cannons. The Kodiak also had 8 Medium Torpedoes and 4 Huge Phasers as Spinals, similarly to the current version. The Kodiak previously dropped up to 5 Kodiak Armor Plates, a material previously used to create the Kraken.
- Has an admin variant, called the Kodiak A, which has way less HP and smaller hitbox than the Kodiak boss